Thursday, June 17, 2010

What fun we had at the Yarn Market...

Many of you know that last weekend Mimi, Paula & I went to Columbus, Ohio to attend the TNNA Yarn Market. It was a crazy week before we left as we played musical chairs on who would be attending with me. Melissa was originally scheduled to go, but had to stay behind because her mom unexpectantly had to have surgery. Paula was suppose to watch the shop, but she was now going with us. So I got on the phone and invited Kelora to come learn how to run the shop. She had one day of training and then I left her for 3 days to run things by herself! Now under normal circumstances, I would never had done that. But this was an emergency and I knew that Kelora could handle it. She did a great job and, as a result, has become our newest staff member. She has been knitting and crocheting since she was a little girl. She's also a spinner and has done some weaving. I think she'll be a perfect fit to our team. I hope you'll stop by and meet her soon.

Driving to Market was a challenge for me as I've been dealing for the past year with PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder). But I'm thankful to say that we made it up there and back without any accidents. Not that I didn't have a few scary moments here and there. On the way up we stopped at the Traveler's Art Center in Berea, KY. It was quite interesting to see the different crafts that artisans had made. And we also stopped at a yarn shop in Cincinnati called "Fiberge". Turns out that the owner is my Skacel rep! It was quite a surprise to see Vicki there. She has a lovely shop and next door was an ice cream shop. I don't know how Vicki stands it being so close to such wonderful ice cream. That was a good break to get to stop and pet the yarn...AND get a cone of ice cream!

We saw lots of wonderful things at the Yarn Market and will let you know as they arrive. One night when we were eating at Cracker Barrel, Mimi and Paula put on these cowboy hats and I just knew it was a kodak moment. We had a lot of fun being together and talking about all of the wonderful things we have planned for you this next year.


We got back from Market and had our Felted Soap class for kids. Here is Shelby with the soaps that she made for her dad and grandads. She looks quite pleased with herself. But she has a right to be pleased as she did an awesome job!



I have a couple of finished objects to show you today.

Kori made Lisa's Berrilicious sweater out of Louisa Harding Hulda yarn. I love this color!


She also made the Tropical Punch Shawl using Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool.


Mary brought in this darling baby sweater she made out of Plymouth Cotton Kisses.


Ann made the famous shrug that everyone's been making out of Ironstone Sky yarn.


And Pat's Icarus shawl was made from Fiesta Ballerina yarn.


Great job, everyone! Don't forget our World Wide Knitting in Public Scavenger Hunt this coming Saturday. Details are on our website.

1 comment:

Moon Torbett said...

I did indeed get to shop with Kelora, and she was great!
Sounds like y'all had a fun time
:-)

Welcome back,
Moon