Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Friday, August 22, 2008
And I was going to show you a couple of projects that had been brought in this week...but I forgot to download them from my camera. :-( I'll have to show them to you at a later date.
Well, we will be meeting again at the shop tonight to work on our Olympic projects and watch the games on the wonderful big screen TV that Aaron Rents donated for the event. Come at 6 pm with your project and a snack to share. We'll knit/crochet, talk, eat, and then turn on the games at 8 pm. Even if you've already finished your Olympic project...YEAH!...or if you're not working on an Olympic project, you are still welcome to come join us tonight.
And can I entice you with more new items that have arrived this week???
- New colors of Cascade's Cash Vero...a merino/cashmere blend. I used some of this yarn in my Olympic project and really like it. And the colors are great!
- Several new colors of the Cascade 220...a great felting yarn.
- Blocking wires have been restocked.
- E-Balm...a great new product to help soften your hands for knitting/crocheting
- 2 new Debbie Bliss pattern booklets
Well, I hope you get your Olympic project done by the time the flame goes out on Sunday evening! Bring in your projects next week and then come back on Saturday, August 30 to vote for your favorite...besides your own project of course. Have a great weekend...and enjoy watching the Summer Olympics!
Friday, August 15, 2008
Hope you'll come by the shop tonight for our Friday Night Knitting Club from 6-9 pm. We will turn on the big screen television that Aaron Rents donated for our Olympics and watch some of the Olympics starting at 8 pm...and we'll probably stay later than 9 pm if folks would like to stay and watch while working on their Olympic projects. Keep knitting...and try to stay awake today!!
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
- When doing repetitive things, be sure and take breaks. Set an egg timer across the room. When it goes off, quit knitting and go turn it off. Then take a short break. I know that some of the commercials during the Olympics have been great, but taking a break during the commercial times will also help.
- Do finger exercises...running each finger across your palm and back.
- Swing your arms back and forth about 20 times. This will relax your neck muscles.
- Sit on the floor and try to touch your toes. (I know...for some of us this is not as easy as it used to be. Sigh.) Continue stretching to touch your toes for about 5 minutes. This will slowly stretch out the connective tissues in your arms and back. I must tell you that stretching out my arm has helped the tendonitis in my elbow tremendously. I still avoid the ball winder...but my elbow is much better because of these exercises.
Hope your Olympic projects are coming along nicely. Knit on!!
Monday, August 11, 2008
I'm sure many of you are watching the Summer Olympics on television each evening. For those of you participating in The Yarn Haven Olympics, we will gather again this Friday evening (along with the Friday Night Knitting Club) and the following Friday evening at the shop to watch together as we knit or crochet on our Olympic projects.
I'm excited to see all of the wonderful things that people have made. We'll be taking pictures as folks bring in their projects for the Olympic Showcase from August 26-29 and putting them up on the blog for everyone to see. Stop by the shop on August 30 and vote for your favorite project. Winners will be announced on Tuesday, September 2. And yes, there will be prizes!
Friday, August 8, 2008
And Tracy brought in her "Crazy Monkey" socks last night to the Lace KAL. These are the famous Monkey socks from Cookie A....but with some changes. The biggest one being that they are toe-up. The sock is made from Crystal Palace's Panda Cotton yarn...one of my favorites. They look great, Tracy! Tracy's already working on the 2nd sock...so no second sock syndrome for her!
- More Carolina Yarn Bells...we have all 6 right now for you to pick from.
- Louisa Harding's Hulda yarn...a bulky wool/silk blend that is simply scrumptious! 8 great colors to choose from!
- Classic Elite Summer Sox...4 great colors of this cotton/merino blend.
- Mountain Colors...lots of Bearfoot sock yarn, Winter Lace, and their Targhee Top Combed roving...still waiting on the River Twist to arrive!!
- Interweave Knits Fall 2008 issue
I hope you'll join us this evening here at the shop if you are participating in The Yarn Haven Olympics. Aaron Rents, next door, will be furnishing a television so we can watch the opening ceremonies of the Summer Olympics together...and cast on our Olympic projects together as well. This event starts at 7:30 pm...so bring your project and a snack to share. If you've got a folding chair, you might want to have it in your car just in case we need it. I only have 22 seats and I expect a crowd tonight. Even if you're not joining us in doing an Olympic project, you're still welcome to come tonight. OK...Ready...set...knit!
Friday, August 1, 2008
We've had a couple of people turn in garments for the Warm Woolies organization that we're focusing on this summer. If you have some bulky weight wool just sitting in your stash, why not make a vest or sweater for this group that helps orphanages overseas and an Indian reservation here in the states. I make this cute vest to donate out of the Cascade Victor yarn that's in our sale bin. There's still some of that yarn in the sale bin if you want to help with our summer charity project.
- Vogue Knitting - Fall issue
- Knit 'N Style - October issue
- St. Charles Ritratto...a DK yarn in 6 beautiful colors
- Plymouth Forever sock yarn...a great yarn to use in making baby items
- Plymouth Alpaca Prima...6 neutral colors that would make gorgeous lace shawls and scarves
- Muench Family...an Aran weight yarn that is machine washable and has arrived in 11 yummy colors
- Feza Dazzle...in orange to be added to a white yarn for a great new UT scarf for this season (model scarf on display) and in white to be added to other colors of yarn for great scarves as well
- Feza Cyprus Mohair...beautiful yarn that you have to see to appreciate
- Malabrigo...100 pounds of their worsted yarn has arrived. I now have in stock 42 of our 45 colors.
And don't forget...today and tomorrow (August 1 and 2) are tax-free days. Come save the tax off of your purchases!