Sunday, December 9, 2007

Christmas Traditions

Christmas is only 16 days away! I'm starting to wonder if I'll be able to get everything ready in time for our family celebration. One of our family traditions is to do our Christmas decorating on Thanksgiving weekend. This year, my son and his daughter and my youngest daughter and her husband all were here to help. So now, the tree is up and decorated and there are signs everywhere of the preparation for the big day. Somewhere between now and December 25 I need to find time to make Christmas cookies with my granddaughter. I used to always make cookies with my 3 children, and now that my sweet granddaughter is living with us, I think the tradition should continue. She loves to help me cook, so cookies should really make her happy.

At the shop, yarn is simply flying off the shelves. Anyone who says scarves are out has not visited my shop lately. Lots of people are making scarves for their loved ones...big chunky ones for warmth or smaller, more delicate ones for just looking great. Knitted and crocheted gifts are simply the best! This year, with my busy schedule at the shop, I decided to not knit any Christmas gifts. What??? A yarn shop owner not knitting up Christmas gifts??! Yeah, well, it sounded like a good plan to me initially...but to be honest, I really want to knit up a gift. So I've decided to make my granddaughter some of the felted slippers. The little houseshoes she has now go flying off of her feet at the least little flip of her foot. With hardwood floors in the house, she'll need something warm on her feet. So I'm going to get started on the slippers for her. 16 days should be plenty of time to make them. But I also wanted to make a belt out of the Daria cord/yarn for my oldest daughter. And that shouldn't take any time at all. It's quick and simple, but she'll love it. And my youngest daughter would look great in a keyhole scarf out of the Farmhouse Lumpy Bumpy yarn. Those are quick too, so maybe I should add that to my list as well. And...if I knit something for my granddaughter, then I should probably knit something for my 2 grandsons as well. Perhaps I could make them the fairisle hats that Mimi, one of our teachers, designed out of Tahki Cotton Classic yarn. And........oh dear, I think I'm biting off more than I can handle in 16 days. I do still have a yarn shop to run...as well as a household to maintain with a 4 year old and a hubby to take care of. I think this is how knitting can get out of hand at Christmas. So I think I'd better just do my granddaughter's slippers for now...and then see how much time I have left. Knitting is always so much fun when you're making a gift for someone you love!

No comments: