Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Looking Back at 2007

Well, the new year of 2008 has arrived. I've thought a lot today about all the changes that have happened in my life this past year.

New Adventures...
This time last year I was about to begin one of the biggest adventures of my life...opening up a yarn shop. It hadn't been a long-time dream of mine...just an idea that began in the middle of the night. But the thoughts of having my own shop would not go away. It was my first thought every morning and the last thing I thought of before drifting off to sleep. The idea would not let me go...even thought I argued back that this was simply ridiculous. Afterall, I had never own my own business and I didn't have a clue of where to start. But the sheer joy of having something of my own...as well as envisioning how happy others would be to have a new yarn shop in town kept me going.


This time last year my house could hardly be decorated for Christmas because of all the boxes and boxes of yarn sitting around.

And I still remember the day I came home to find 13 large boxes of yarn sitting outside my garage door!

But even with wall to wall yarn at home, the first time I went into the empty rental space where I was going to open my shop, I looked around and said, "I'm going to have to buy more yarn to fill this place up!"

And the rest is history. Today, The Yarn Haven, has twice as much yarn as when I opened...and more is always on it's way!

New Relationships...
Another exciting event in my life this year was the marriage of my oldest daughter, Elizabeth.




















After being a single mom for several years, we were glad that she and Matt tied the knot and gave her oldest son a new Daddy. We planned a simple ceremony and Elizabeth was a beautiful bride.

New Challenges...
And then around August our granddaughter came to live with us full-time. She has been a joy to have around, but it's been an adjustment to having a 4 year old to take care of. We enrolled her in preschool and she absolutely loves it! Our son comes home every weekend from Birmingham, where he is in pharmacy school, to see her. She loves her Daddy and can't wait to see him each Friday.

2008...
So 2007 was filled with new adventures, new relationships, and new challenges. My thoughts and prayers for 2008 is that it will be a year full of wonderful memories of family and friends...and I wouldn't mind a little more calm and balance in my life as well. :-)



No comments: