Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Family Time...

This past weekend we celebrated my youngest child's birthday. She turned a quarter of a century old. She kept talking about how she couldn't believe she was that old. It brought back memories to me of when I was 25 years old. That was the year that my first baby was born. My, how time flies.

We decided to enjoy the beautiful weather and head up after church to the Chimneys for a picnic. It was a gorgeous day and we should have known that the picnic area would be packed. We had to actually park our cars at the entrance and lug all of our picnic items up the hill to find a spot. We found a table fairly quickly, but the grill was swarming with what looked like baby yellow jackets. So I told everyone to stay put at that table while I went on up the hill to find another table. I finally found one that folks weren't using, but everyone was out of shouting range, so I had to go back down the hill to get them. The lady in the car at the table was getting ready to leave, but she said she would stay there and hold our table until I got back. That was really kind of her considering she had to endure the wrath of another person when they learned that the table was reserved. Unfortunately, the grill at this table also had swarming bugs. As we got a closer look, I think the insects were really sweatbees. Still not fun, but no where near as dangerous as yellow jackets can be. So we went ahead and put on the charcoal and started a fire hoping that the fire would encourage the bugs to go elsewhere. It worked enough for us to put on some hot dogs and roast marshmallows for s'mores. The grandkids went down to the creek and all three of them got wet at one point or another as they jumped from rock to rock. We had a wonderful time, but were missing my son and one of my son-in-laws as both of them had to work that day.

It's hard to believe that we had 80 degree temps on Sunday and below freezing temps a day or so later. You just have to love this crazy East Tennessee weather. I'm looking forward to getting our spring temperatures back.

No comments: