Monday, April 19, 2010

My Weekend...

My hubby and I went this past weekend to Johnson City to see our daughter and son-in-law. It was a gorgeous weekend with a nice spring crisp to the air. When we arrived on Saturday, we got right back into the car and went to Jonesborough...the oldest city in Tennessee. I loved walking down the streets of this historic town as my ancestors were the first white settlers to Tennessee. It was a very surreal experience for me.

While there, we visited a new yarn shop that had opened up this past summer, A Novel Yarn. Tara, the owner, was very nice to talk with us and show me and my family some of her wonderful yarns and fibers. They loved the sheep pictures on the wall and thought that having some pictures of sheep would be a good addition to The Yarn Haven. But then Tara explained that those were pictures of her sheep. Way cool. But I don't see any live sheep in my future. Not sure the neighbors in my subdivision would care for that very much. If you're ever up in the Jonesborough area, you should stop in and say hello to Tara. Her shop was a little hard to find, but just look for the log cabin and it's right across the street.


Speaking of the Log Cabin, it was Christopher Taylor's house and was built in 1777. He was a veteran of the French and Indian War and a major in the American Revolutionary War. Andrew Jackson actually lived in the house for a year in 1788 while he was practicing law in Jonesborough.


We loved seeing the courthouse and visiting some shops on Main Street.
I even tried out the stocks in front of the courthouse, but didn't really care for them.


On Sunday after church Sarah and Ryan took us to one of their favorite sandwich shops...and then for some italian ice.
And then after having a full tummy, we went up to Buffalo Mountain and hiked up a short trail to a spot that overlooks Johnson City.
We sat on the bench there and just soaked up the sunshine and felt the breeze. Isn't this a gorgeous view!

We had a wonderful weekend together and I got to get lots of puppy kisses from my sweet grandpuppy, Daisy.

We also got to meet our grandkitten, Luna, for the first time. She doesn't like to be picked up, nor have her picture taken, but she does like to be petted. I think it will take me a while to warm up to her as cats are just not my favorite pet.

Overall it was a very enjoyable weekend...and a good break for me. I hope you had a good weekend as well.

No comments: