Monday, February 9, 2009

My Knitting Daughter

Last weekend we celebrated my hubby's birthday. The whole family enjoyed being outside that afternoon in the beautiful weather. I laid down on our recliner and almost immediately feel asleep. It was so nice listening to the birds sing and feeling the warmth of the sun on my back.

I taught my youngest daughter to knit a couple of years ago. But she had only made a scarf to go with her coat. She has just been too busy with school...and then work...to get very much into knitting. But she saw the calorimetry I had made for the shop and wanted to use her leftover yarn from the scarf to do one of them. So...she cast on the number of stitches she needed and I told her to do a k2p2 ribbing. She looked at me and said, "You never taught me how to purl." Oh yeah. So I showed her the purl stitch and she started purling like she'd know how for years. I guess she just got the "knitting gene" from her mom. But I had to laugh at her because when she wanted to know whether or not she needed to do a knit or a purl stitch, she looked at the back of the stitches to tell. For some reason it was easier for her to see the bump of the purl on the back and know it was a knit stitch on the front of her work than to just look for the "V" of the knit stitch on the front. Too funny. But I guess as long as you can figure it out, that's OK. So this weekend she finished her calorimetry. She did a really nice job on it.

Now she wanted to also make a ribbed hat since she still had yarn left over. So once again she cast on her stitches and began her hat. That weekend alone she learned how to purl, how to do ribbing, how to short row, and how to knit in the round. Not bad.

She was looking at my blog the other day and said she hadn't seen her little dog, Daisy, in the coat I made her for Christmas. I realized that for some reason I had never posted those pictures from Christmas. So...here's a picture of my grandpuppy in her coat. I used the Cascade Victor yarn from the sale bin and the Fiber Trends pattern "Dandy Dogs". And here is my Knitting Daughter in the vest I made her for Christmas. The pattern is the "Back to School" vest
from the Knitted Fits book and the yarn was Cascade 220.

Once she finishes her hat, I'm sure she'll want another project. I think I have created a monster. But I'm OK with that. It's nice to have another knitter in the family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know I never would have been this good if I didn't have such a great teacher...even if I do give her a hard time when she tries to teach me stuff. :) Love you mom!

Sarah