Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Calm in the Midst of a Storm

Have you ever considered that someone's smiling face might be hiding a deep wound or a heavy burden? Many folks coming into The Yarn Haven walk in with a smile on their face...experiencing pure joy at just being around so much wonderful yarn. And yet, when they sit down to relax and knit or crochet a bit...the smile fades as their mind drifts back to the struggles of their life.

I have to admit that I've been a bit distracted lately from being around all the wonderful yarn in the shop. Many of you may not realize that besides being a yarn shop owner, I am also raising my 5 year old granddaughter. My son is in Alabama going to pharmacy school and my granddaughter's mother has moved to Virginia. So since I am here in Knox County, last August the judge awarded temporary custody of my granddaughter to me...until the parents could go to trial and try to sort out where she would live.

The past 8 months have been interesting to say the least. Taking care of preschooler can be tiring. They just have so much energy!! But it's been a wonderful time of having her near and getting to experience once again life as seen through the eyes of a child. Her daddy comes home every weekend to see her...and she so looks forward to seeing him. Her mother has not been able to come down to see her during this time, but calls her on the phone to talk.

We went back to court yesterday and walked away discouraged because things are going to stay pretty much the same as they have for the past 8 months. The judge will not give custody to either parent because they don't live here in Knox County. So my sweet granddaughter will continue to stay with her grandparents while Mom makes plans to try and come see her more often and Dad wrestles with the decision of whether he should stay in pharmacy school to try and provide for his child or drop out of school and come back to Knoxville in order to gain custody of his child. What a pickle we find ourselves in sometimes!

But in the midst of all this turmoil was a day of fun and joy. This weekend, with the court proceedings looming in our eyes on Monday, we went up to Johnson City to visit my youngest daughter and her husband. And while we were there, we went to the Hands On Musemn. We had
taken our children there many years ago when they were little. As you can see from the pictures, Ariel had a blast! She got to dress up and perform on a stage, go to a grocery store and make purchases, fly an airplane with her aunt, play with a snake (ugh), and have lots of fun adventures.

And then on Monday, she got to see her Mommy for the first time in a long time. What joy there was in her eyes yesterday! And for a brief moment in time, all was right with the world.

But the storm still rages...and decisions will need to be made...and life will go on. And until the final outcome presents itself, my life will continue to be very full with the running of a yarn shop, taking care of my dear sweet granddaughter, and...knitting. Because in the midst of a storm, knitting is the one thing over which I have full control.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sandy,
What a blessed child Ariel is to have your for a grandmother!!! The pictures from this weekend are precious...just pure joy on her face. I will pray for you and your family as you persevere in this situation.
Jeremiah 29:11 "I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

P.S. You're so right, sometimes all we can do is knit. Pray. And wait.

Anonymous said...

Sandy,
I new you had a grandchild living with you, but was not aware of her situation. Things have a way of sorting themselves out, even when the court is involved. I hope her parents are on good terms and can still work together as parents. And this time she has with you will hopefully be a good memory for her in years to come.
I've only been to your Sit and Stitch one time, a few weeks ago, but I hope to get there again soon. In the meantime, I've been keeping up with you here. I wish I could be as disciplined on my own blog!
Karla

Donna Fay said...

Hi Sandy,
I think I lost my last comment. I wish you well with "all". I'm so impressed that you still have your sanity with a new shop and a 5 year old living at home! You're my newest hero and thanks for being so open and helpful.