Saturday, February 2, 2008

Friday Night Knitting Club & My First Anniversary

Last night was so much fun at our Friday Night Knitting Club. We were missing several of our "regulars", but had several new faces come join us. About 20 of us gathered to sit and knit or crochet.













We always have something special for the 1st Friday of each month. Tonight's special was to have Donna Ellenburg share with us how to make the "Best Friends Dolls". She had made one for each of her granddaughters for Christmas, but they were kind enough to allow her to gather them back up and bring to show us. The dolls were soooo cute. What little girl wouldn't want to have one! Bev Howard had also made a couple of the dolls and she brought hers to show as well.
About 5 years ago, Donna saw the pattern for these dolls in a Interweave Knits magazine. She filed it away to use later. When she began making the dolls right before Christmas, several folks saw them and fell in love with them. Since the magazine was out of print, I contacted Interweave Press, and for a small fee and the promise that I wouldn't sell the pattern, they graciously gave me permission to make copies. In fact, they will be sending me a colored copy to reprint. Donna had several "tips" she shared about things she learned in making the dolls. I will be typing up those tips and having them available to hand out with the doll pattern. Hopefully, by the end of the month, we'll not only have the pattern to give out, but the tips sheet as well. So a big thank you goes to Donna...and to Bev...for sharing their dolls with us. Don't be surprised if you see a Doll Knit-a-long in the future. It would really be a fun thing to do together. I know my granddaughter would be thrilled to have one. If you'd be interested in a knit-a-long making the dolls, please leave me a comment and let me know.

Today was the first anniversary of The Yarn Haven. Tonight as I sit here in the shop, trying to catch up on some paperwork, I have a smile on my face. This past year has been so much fun starting the yarn shop. Don't get me wrong...it's been a lot of work. Working 12 hour days, 6 days a week, and not bringing home a paycheck this year has been hard. But the satisfaction of making it through my first year, and thinking of all the new friends I have made, and just the joy of having a job that is so fulfilling has made it worth every minute. I have so enjoyed helping people find just the right project to work on. And I had rejoiced with them when they finish a project and bring it in for me to see. I've taught a lot of people to knit or crochet for the first time in their lives. And to see these new knitters and crocheters taking those first baby steps...and turning them into toddler steps...and then encouraging them to take preschooler steps...has been very enjoyable. And I have been so blessed to have such gifted teachers in Mimi and Jackie...and now Lisa. They have given me such great ideas to share with you all. And I am also so thankful for Marilyn Dunn. She comes by every Thursday just to help me put away the inventory. Others have helped along the way as well and I appreciated each and every one of them for everything they have done. So thank you to everyone who has ever walked through the door of The Yarn Haven. I hope you continue to find it a place that is warm and welcoming and one that encourages you to grow in your knitting and crocheting projects. Yes, tonight I am feeling very blessed. The Lord has certainly been good to me this year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love a doll knit a long! My baby/toddler would love them!They look so cute!

Anonymous said...

Me too!