Friday, February 29, 2008

Show & Tell Friday on Leap Year Day!!

For Show & Tell today I want to share with you 2 creations that Mary has done this past year. But first let me tell you a little about Mary. I first met Mary about a year ago when she came into the shop with her friend, Bev. Bev mentioned something about Mary's 90th birthday party and I sort of chuckled to myself...because Mary didn't look like she was 90 years old. I thought Bev was just joking with Mary. Then later in the conversation Bev mentioned the party again and I began to slowly realize that she was telling the truth...Mary had indeed celebrated her 90th birthday. Wow! The woman not only doesn't look like she is 90 years old, she doesn't act like it either. My perception of what someone looks and acts like when they have lived 90 years was about to change. Mary still drives herself around, she does her own grocery shopping, her own house cleaning, she cooks wonderful gourmet meals and entertains frequently. Oh...and she knits. :-) Mary's mind is still as sharp as a tack and she decided this year to learn some new skills.

Mary has made several things this year, but one of the most memorable ones was a little jacket and hat for her great-grandson. Here's a photo of the adorable little guy with his proud grandmother.

Mary made the little jacket and then decided to make a hat to go with it. So she found a garter-stitch pattern in a book that just went great with the jacket. The hat was just one color, but Mary used the 4 colors in the jacket and as you can see, they look great together.

Then Mary decided she wanted to make him a little hat that Mimi, one of our teachers, had designed. But Mary didn't
know how to do the fair-isle knitting that was required in order to make the hat. Did that stop Miss Mary? No...not by any means. She took Mimi's class and here are the photos to show what a great job she did.

Mary is a very sweet person and someone that I am glad to call my friend. I only hope that when I reach the age of 90 that I am as sharp and willing to learn new things as she is. By the way, she's a year older now than when I first met her...and she's still doing new projects. She's a remarkable lady.


Now on to another subject. We all wish we had more time to knit or crochet. Well, today is your chance...it's Leap Day! At The Yarn Haven we are having our "2008 Leap Day Sit 'N Stitch". You can come by the shop anytime today to sit and knit or crochet with others. We will be having an hourly drawing for door prizes. So if you've always wanted a little extra time to knit or crochet, come on over to the shop. After all, this day only comes once every 4 years!

2 comments:

Micky said...

I'm glad I got to come. I just wish there had been more people.
Maybe next time.
:)

Sandy said...

Micky, We actually had quite a few people show up in the latter part of the afternoon. Glad you got to stop by!