Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Adventures of Emma and Zoe

Well, The Yarn Haven girls are finally back from the Yarn Market at TNNA. Many of you know that Diane and Lisa went with me. But what you may not have known is that so did Emma and Zoe. Who is that you might ask?? Well, Emma and Zoe are my traveling dolls. (Emma's the blonde and Zoe's the brunette.) I finally named them and decided that they deserved a trip to Ohio as well. They met some very famous designers and had a wonderful trip.

I got to hear the Yarn Harlot (aka Stephanie Pearl-McPhee) speak at the Retailers' Lunchon on Friday. She is a wonderful speaker and just as funny as she is in her books. After lunch I was able to get an signed copy of Stephanie's book, Things I Learned from Knitting...whether I wanted to or not. Emma and Zoe were resting after their long trip back at the hotel, so I asked Stephanie for a photo with the sock that I had recently finished. I was very impressed that she immediately knew the sock had been made from Jitterbug yarn. (A yarn that will be arriving at The Yarn Haven in the near future.) Boy, that girl knows her sock yarns.

I took several classes while at TNNA. At each class, Emma and Zoe attended with me and were so excited to have their pictures taken with a couple of the teachers. The first photo is of Chris Bylsma. She's the designer of the Crayon Box Jacket that several of you are working on. Lisa will be teaching this class for us again in late summer/early fall.

And they also got to meet Sally Melville. Posing with dolls was a new experience for her, according to Sally. We have 2 of Sally's books here at the shop...The Knit Stitch and The Purl Stitch. Sally's also got a new book out on color that has been ordered and will arrive in the next couple of weeks.

At Melissa Leapman's book signing Emma and Zoe were almost first in line to meet her. I think she was quite taken with the 2 of them...and most gracious to allow me to snap her photo. We'll be getting in some of the yarn that features her designs.

And probably the person we most enjoyed meeting was a British designer named Louisa Harding. It was a special treat for me as my ancestors came to America from England. Louisa is such a sweet individual and Emma and Zoe were very taken with her as well. Louisa Harding's line of yarns will be coming to The Yarn Haven soon.

All in all, it was a fabulous trip. Seeing all of the wonderful yarns were just too overwhelming for Emma and Zoe...so they just sat down and wrapped themselves up in some fur yarn. For all of you who have always wanted to roll around in a bed of alpaca yarn...eat your hearts out!!

Tomorrow I'll share with you some more details about the new yarns and accessories that will be arriving at The Yarn Haven in the next couple of months. I think you'll be pleased with our selections.

No comments: