Monday, June 16, 2008

WWKIP Day 2008

The World Wide Knitting in Public Day on Saturday was a huge success! We met at the Farragut Library and either sat outside in the gazebo or in the community room of the library. Despite the threat of rain in the forecast, we had a beautiful overcast day with a light breeze. Doesn't everyone look like they are having fun!! It was so great being able to go around and see all the things that people were knitting or crocheting. After being out of my seat for a while, I was gently reminded that it was World Wide Knitting in Public Day...not World Wide Talking in Public Day. So I got back focused on my knitting and just enjoyed sitting there and working on my 2nd baby surprise jacket. I'm putting in stripes for this one to show the class I am teaching at The Yarn Haven how to change it up a bit. As you can see, Emma and Zoe enjoyed knitting and crocheting along with everyone as well. Then at noon we all gathered in the community room and shared lunch together. It was so neat to be able to meet new knitters and crocheters that I didn't know. Then after lunch, Jessica got out her wheel and Lisa got out her drop spindle and began spinning. That gathered quite a bit of attention...at least from the knitters in the room. I think some new folks may join the Sit 'N Spin time on the 2nd Saturday of each month at The Yarn Haven. I was sad to have to leave the time early, but I needed to get back to the shop and teach the Crochet Block of the Month class. Several folks dropped in the shop after the WWKIP time was over...so that was good. All in all it was a great day. Hope you got a chance to knit or crochet in public on Saturday wherever you were. I even knitted in public today at the eye doctor. It seems to gather people's attention each time I pull out my yarn and needles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sandy,

I hated to miss The Yarn Haven's WWKIP Day with my friends. I was traveling, however, I was able to promote it by knitting on a flight from K'ville to Dallas,in the Dallas airport,and then again on a flight from Dallas to San Antonio. You are right, whenever and where ever knitting in public, it always solicits a question or a comment from someone. Looks like your well planned day was a huge success! Congrats!!!