Monday, July 7, 2008

Meet Our Newest Employee...

Many of you have already had the privilege of meeting our newest employee...Samantha (Sam for short). I thought you'd like to know a little more about her.














Sam, I know you've told me that you were born in Germany. How long did you live there?
I was born in Germany while my parents served in the US Army there for a few years, but we moved back to the US when I was about two years old. I don't remember anything about it, but we have a home video of my older brother in a pair of leiderhosen and a feathered cap.

You graduated from Farragut High School here in Knoxville and currently attend East Tennessee State University in Johnson City, TN. You're a rising sophomore, right? Tell me about what you are studying and what you hope to do with that degree after college.
I graduated from Farragut High School in 2007 and go to ETSU, where I'm studying art. I have a concentration in fibers (that I decided on my first semester). I have classes like Chemical Dyeing, Natural Dyeing, and 3D Fibers, as well as regular art classes ahead of me. I really am not sure what I'll do with the degree I'm earning, but I would consider myself qualified to design yarns or knit items. Maybe in the future I could even open my own yarn store.

Do you have any siblings?
I have one older brother who is in the Air Force (but not actively serving yet), and a twin brother who is studying criminal justice at ETSU with me. We stayed in the same dorm, one floor apart, last year. What an experience. : )


When did you first begin knitting and crocheting?
My grandma taught me to knit when I was in about the second grade. I remember because I gave a book report from the viewpoint of the main character that knit, so I sat up in front of the class and knitted while I talked. I have the item still, this uneven, messy, weirdly colored (not from stains, but originally oddly colored) cotton "scarf." I then promptly dropped the hobby until about 3 years ago when I saw a classmate knitting and remembered that I could and suddenly felt bold enough to bring my needles to school. I had a lot of materials at hand because my father's mother recently passed away and left me all her crafting supplies. My living grandmother helped me out a bit with some nicer supplies, but I mostly re-taught myself from online tutorials, which is how I've learned most of what I know now. The internet is such an awesome resource! I learned to crochet this last semester with the help of my fibers instructor at school, and some good books.

What's your favorite item to knit or crochet?
Socks and lace. On a college students' budget, you need fine gauges to fill up your knitting time without completely emptying your wallet. And besides, lace is so pretty.

What's your favorite color?
Purple/pink. I wouldn't have admitted it a few months ago, but just last week I took a look at my most recent projects and they were all a shade of purple or pink, as well as most of my stash yarns. Greens are good too.

I hear your boyfriend, Noah, also knits. Did you teach him?
Noah learned from his mom when he was little, as a part of his homeschooling learning. I just sort of asked him to pick it up again so that we could knit together. He needed very little re-teaching, but he still insists that he shouldn't have to "turn" his work, and "backwards knits" instead of doing a purl row.

Are you planning to participate in The Yarn Haven Olympics in August?
I actually haven't got a project planned.. all I can think about are what I've got on the needles and what needs to be on the needles, in the way of presents for upcoming birthdays/holidays. And looking at the dates I'm probably leaving for school before the end of the Olympics, so I don't think I can participate. Although.. I don't know. I'll have to think about that more.

Anything else you'd like to tell folks about yourself??
I really, really, really want to pick up spinning as my next hobby. I haven't invested in a spindle or roving yet, or even learned to spin yet, but I really want to. Maybe that can be my Olympics project- to learn to spin! Or maybe it could be a personal goal. We'll see.


Thanks, Sam, for sharing a little about yourself with us. Sam is working here part-time for the summer and will be here on school breaks as well. She's been a great help so far in knitting and crocheting items for the shop. She made the cowl she is wearing out of Jitterbug sock yarn (which we will be getting in the near future) and Malabrigo Silky Merino yarn. A very pretty combination.

Next week I'll introduce you to our other employee, Diane, who has been working here since February. Until then, have a great week!

No comments: